Northland DHB Sexual Health promotion team promotes positive sexual and reproductive health and responsible sexual behaviour to minimise the incidence of sexually transmitted infections (S.T.I’s) and unplanned pregnancy throughout Tai Tokerau/Northland.
It is concerning that Tai Tokerau is seeing a climb in Chlamydia and Gonorrhoea rates and the highest rates of infection are seen in young people aged between 15 and 24 years.
It is really important to Plan, Pack and Protect:
PLAN - be prepared
- During the summer holidays plan ahead for all situations
- With good planning over the summer period it will ensure you have fun, stay healthy and safe.
- When packing your holiday bag don’t forget to pack a good supply of condoms/contraception.
- Pop in and visit your nearest 123 Sexual Health Clinic, Family Planning Clinic or your Doctor to ensure that you have everything you need for a fun holiday.
- Don’t forget condoms are damaged when placed in the hot sun or against sharp objects.
PROTECT - from STI’s and unplanned pregnancies
- Use a condom when having sex to protect you and others from STI’s and unplanned pregnancies.
- Follow correct instructions when using condoms – check the expiry date before use and always open carefully
- Follow correct instructions when taking contraceptives to ensure you protect yourself and others from unplanned pregnancies.
Condoms help protect against pregnancy and are your only protection against STIs.
Next Page: Sexual Health Services