Health advice for anyone who has tasted or eaten raw chicken
Te Whatu Ora in Te Tai Tokerau has had an incident reported that attendees at Kaitaia College were inadvertently served uncooked chicken today. Public Health is investigating the extent of this exposure.
Anyone who has tasted or eaten raw chicken may have been exposed to bacterial organisms such as campylobacter or salmonella.
Usually, bacterial infections associated with raw chicken can be managed at home with good fluid intake, rest and self-care, and without any antibiotics.
Symptoms of gastroenteritis or food poisoning include diarrhoea (can be bloody), vomiting, stomach cramps, fever, headache, tiredness.
Anyone with symptoms should:
Stay at home, rest and drink plenty of water. Do not return to school until 48 hours after the last symptom has gone.
Practice good hand and personal hygiene.
If symptoms persist, consult your GP or medical healthcare health facility, otherwise phone Healthline on 0800 611 116 anytime 24/7 to speak with a Registered Nurse, Paramedic or Health Advisor free of charge.