Te Whatu Ora in Te Tai Tokerau has had an incident reported that attendees at Kaitaia College were inadvertently served uncooked chicken today. Public Health is investigating the extent of this exposure.
Anyone who has tasted or eaten raw chicken may have been exposed to bacterial organisms such as campylobacter or salmonella.
Usually, bacterial infections associated with raw chicken can be managed at home with good fluid intake, rest and self-care, and without any antibiotics.
Symptoms of gastroenteritis or food poisoning include diarrhoea (can be bloody), vomiting, stomach cramps, fever, headache, tiredness.
Anyone with symptoms should:
For more information and advice, visit Gastroenteritis (pokenga whēkau) | Health Navigator NZ(external link) or read Info-sheet-Campylobacter-E-coli-and-Salmonella.pdf [PDF, 318 KB]
Questions can be directed to the on-call Health Protection Officer on 09 430 4100.